- This event has passed.
TAKE A STAND AGAINST RAPE Denim Day April 25, 2018
April 25, 2018
In 1992, an 18-year-old in Italy was picked up by her driving instructor to begin a driving lesson. Soon after, she was raped on the side of the road by the instructor. She pressed charges and won her case. The instructor appealed and the case went to the Italian High Court. In 1999 the court overturned the conviction with a member of the High Court declaring that since the victim wore very tight jeans, the instructor could not have removed them himself, therefore the victim must have willingly participated. Women of Italian legislature protested the decision by wearing jeans. As news of the decision spread, so did the protest. In April 1999 the state of California established the first Denim Day in the United States.
Why Denim Day USA?
- 1 in 10 women have been raped by their boyfriend or husband (CDCP)
- Half of female sexual assault victims were raped before age 18 (White House Report-Rape & Sexual Assault: A Renewed Call to Action)
- Over 1/4 of male sexual assault survivors were raped before they were 10 (White House-Report Rape & Sexual Assault: A Renewed Call to Action)
- 82% of rapes committed by an intimate are not reported to the police (RAINN/Dept. of Justice)
- The majority (54%) of rapes are still not reported (RAINN/Dept. of Justice)
- Only about 1 out of 4 reported rapes leads to an arrest. Similarly, only about 1 out of 4 arrests leads to a felony conviction and incarceration (RAINN/Dept. of Justice)
- 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (National Institute for Justice and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention)
- 17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape (National Institute for Justice and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention)
- 15,000-19,000 people with developmental disabilities are raped each year in North America (National Center on Domestic & Sexual Violence)
- 1 in 6 men have experienced abusive sexual experiences before the age of 18 (1in6.org)
- 44% of sexual assault and rape victims are under the age of 18 (USDOJ)
- Almost 2/3 of rapes are committed by someone known to the victim (USDOJ)
- 28% of male victims of rape experience their first rape when they were 10 years of age or younger (CDCP)
- Approximately 80% of female victims experienced their first rape before the age of 25 (CDCP)
- Every four hours a rape is reported in the United States Armed Forces (Military Rape Crisis Center)
- Women in the US Military are more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan than killed by enemy fire (Military Rape Crisis Center)
- One in 5 women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college (CSA)